Monday, October 3, 2011

EASTSIDE!

Wow. To imagine that I joined the NY Experience course for this?! Well, let me say.... AMAZING!! Since I am behind two classes, this Eastside tour was a doozy. I was so tired after all the walking that Mike made us do. However, there were some excellent sights we toured and beautiful pieces of art studied.

It was my first time in about ten years that I have been to the Met. Although it was a wet one outside, it was a one-a-kind experience for me. With the guidance of Professor Hazlitt, I was able to understand the meanings behind some paintings, sculptures, and drawings.
The building itself was breathtaking. As an ten year old, one does not comprehend the beauty of art. We just see a enormous edifice with a giant columns in front. At 21 years old, the structure has a different, more elegant meaning. The foyer of the building was astounding and made me drop my jaw; beyond this grand lobby was just remarkable.



One of the paintings that caught my attention at first sight was Georges Seurat's "A Sunday on the Island of La Grande Jatte". He painted this piece in 1884, which is one of many of his Pointillism pieces. As a child teachers would show us this painting in textbooks but there was no meaning to them. To have the actual piece in front of my face and to literally see all the paint strokes, was truly amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment